Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Easter Chick

So I'm sure by now you've all seen this adorable idea at Giggles Galore, right? Well as soon as I saw them I knew that I needed them (yes, needed not wanted)! I had one problem...no 2x4 readily available. I would have had to wait several days to get the wood that is laying in my driveway cut and I just couldn't do it. So as I was checking to see that we had all of the ingredients for my husband's birthday dessert, I noticed something. The pudding box was just the right size!!!
Isn't she just adorable!?!
I didn't have yellow feathers, and at the time my hubby didn't have a job (but he does now, YAY) so I was definitely NOT going to buy feathers. I thought about it for a little bit and realized that baby chicks really are more fuzzy than feathery. I filled my pudding box with paper, taped it shut and gave it a coat of acrylic paint (yellow for the chick, white for the sheep which I'll post after I finish the face). Once dry I hot glued some cotton balls on and then took it outside for a coat of spray paint!
Right before the paint job...
and after the paint job. The paint did harden the surface of the cotton balls, but I don't really care about that.
Then I cut a beak and some feet out of felt, painted them the color that I wanted with acrylic paint (because I didn't have the right shade of orange felt) glued them on along with some googly eyes and a pink bow.
Yep, she definitely makes me happy, and you'd never know that under all that fluff is a box of pudding.

9 comments:

  1. I love your take on them and think its great that you used what you had, very resourceful! Thanks for sharing and linking back to my site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! Love her. Visiting from Show and Tell at Blue Cricket.
    ~Kimberlee
    {$15 Amazon GC Giveaway} 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it - very fun and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and kids could help make these. Wal Mart usually carries yellow (pink and light green, too) cotton balls right before Easter that would be perfect for this.
    I will shave to share this on my blog Kid Kapers real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!! I would be thrilled if you stopped by my Commercial Break Thursday at http://www.suzyssitcom.com and link this project!

    suzy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a wonderful idea. I love that is is so thrifty too! Saw you at Suzy's sitcom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I'm featuring this at http://womenwhodoitall.blogspot.com

    :) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I love 2x4 crafts, but this is genius! No cutting or anything! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete